11.25.2008

Thoughts of Thanksgiving...

Typically, our blogs are about cool things we found or we’ve created… Today, it’s a little different. It’s that time of year when you reflect on all the things you are thankful for. We have a lot to be thankful for… and I was reminded of this by the passing of a dear friend this weekend. Mr. K was 94 – we had met several years ago when he and his wife would walk around my neighborhood, faithfully, holding hands. Sometimes we would meet in the street and chat – and every Friday, he would be alone walking since Mrs. K would have a hair appointment. So, I always made it a point to try and be out of the house when I knew he would be walking… first, he was legally blind and even with his hearing aids, he wasn’t always great at knowing what was around him and he always made my day seems a little brighter. When we’d meet up, I’d always give him a hug and ask him how he was. He was always good – even when I could tell he wasn’t feeling great. As his health started getting worse, we’d walk and hold hands. He’d tell me that people would talk about his having an affair with a younger woman. A couple of years ago, they had to go into a nursing home. It was tough for all of us… just not the same as running up to see them. As we started Designs in Paper, he was so encouraging that we could do it…

Thinking about the holiday, I was thinking of some things that Mr. K will always remind me about – and how grateful I am that we walked into each other…

- Always talk to people and really listen.
- Always put two pieces of candy in your mouth at once so you get the full flavor :)
- Even when things seem really unfair, find a way to make it work – even if it’s hard
- Mr. K sold Electrolux vacuum cleaners door-to-door when he was younger. He was always a top salesman. When he and I would talk about business, we always agreed on good business practices – customers are special. Make sure they know that.
- Hold hands with those you love... whoever they are.
- Tell the people you love exactly that. (even if it's really loud in a very crowded place... this was one of my favorite moments with Mr. K - his announcement of this in the middle of the Vanderbilt waiting area with loads of people there)
- Find laughter every day.

So, Thanks Mr. K. Your life and our friendship gave me so many reasons to be thankful this week… xo.

Enjoy Thanksgiving – make sure you tell someone how very special they are to you… and to each of you – a very BIG THANKS for taking time out of your day to read our blog, offer support, give us feedback. We appreciate you so very much.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: